The holidays are a magical time, full of celebration and traditions. Decorating gingerbread houses has been a tradition of mine for years because it’s a great way to spend time with my family and friends. We can get creative while making memories over a fun activity. In the past, I used to buy the premade gingerbread house kits because the thought of making them from scratch was a little intimidating. I came across a gingerbread house cookie cutter set at Kitchen Stuff Plus and decided to give the homemade route a try. Let me tell you, homemade gingerbread houses are next level! Much tastier than the premade kits and surprisingly not difficult to make. It’s also a more affordable option! The KSP cookie cutter set made the baking process a lot easier. The set includes 10 cookie cutters shaped to effortlessly build your own gingerbread dream home. I know I’ll be using this kit year after year.
Below I’m sharing my gingerbread cookie recipe and a few tips to create the perfect gingerbread houses with your family this season.
Gingerbread Cookie Recipe – makes about 3 fair sized gingerbread houses.
1⁄2 cup sugar
1⁄2 cup molasses
1 ½ tsp ginger
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp clove
2 tsp baking soda
½ cup margarine
½ all-purpose flour
- Heat sugar, molasses, ginger, allspice, cinnamon and cloves in a saucepan to boiling
- Remove from heat and stir in baking soda
- Add margarine in and mix until melted
- Use a fork to mix in the beaten egg
- Knead dough until mixed well. Divide the dough in half and wrap half in plastic wrap and store in the fridge
- Roll the dough with a rolling pin on a floured surface. Roll until about ¼ inch making sure the surface is level
- Use the Kitchen Stuff Plus Gingerbread House Cookie Cutter Set to create your house pieces
- Bake at 325F on a cookie sheet for 12 mins
- Remove from oven and let cool completely
- Use the royal icing recipe below to make the icing to assemble your gingerbread house
- Decorate with an assortment of colourful candies
Tip : A fun way to serve your candies is on the KSP 3-tier serving platter.
Royal Icing Recipe
2 egg whites
3-4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Beat the egg whites in a large bowl until frothy
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, half cup at a time until it becomes thick
- Add vanilla extract and beat until soft peaks form
- Place the prepared frosting into an airtight container and leave at room temperature until ready to use.
Tip: If you don’t have an icing piping bag, you can use a plastic ziplock bag and cut the bottom corner to make one.
Your gingerbread house doesn’t need to be an elaborate masterpiece. Just have fun with it, let your creativity loose and express your holiday spirit! Cheers to the holiday season and to making sweet memories with your loved ones!