Hot cocoa in a festive mug is the perfect combo to spread a little holiday cheer this season!
Hot chocolate bombs have been trending lately because they’re visually compelling and make a really creative holiday gift idea. You can easily make them at home with the KSP Hot Chocolate Bomb DIY Kit and doubles as a fun afternoon activity. Also, who doesn’t love receiving a thoughtful homemade gift?!
Here’s how to create these adorable snowman bombs and tips for wrapping them…
Ingredients: (makes 4 hot chocolate bombs)
- 12 oz White chocolate melts
- 4 tsp Hot chocolate
- Mini marshmallows
- 4 Medium size marshmallows
- Melted dark chocolate (to make the face)
- Melted orange chocolate or any kind of orange candy for the nose
- KSP Hot Chocolate Bomb DIY Kit
- KSP Holiday mugs
- Cupcake paper liners
- Cellophane wrap or Cellophane gift bags
- Melt approximately 12 oz of white chocolate melts.
TIP: If you choose to use the microwave, always melt in short 15 sec intervals to avoid overheating. Stir in between each interval until you have the right consistency.
2. Pour about a tablespoon of melted chocolate into each mould. Use the brush from the kit to spread the chocolate all the way up to the edge. Make sure all the edges are even and no parts of the silicone edges are exposed.
3. Put the silicone mould in the fridge for about 15 mins to let the chocolate harden.
TIP: Put the silicone tray on a baking tray to make transporting to and from your fridge much easier.
4. Once the chocolate hardens completely, carefully remove each chocolate half from the silicone mould.
TIP: Use a cupcake liner and a cupcake tray to place your halves in. This will make it easier to work with moving forward.
5. Fill four chocolate halves with a spoonful of hot chocolate and mini marshmallows.
6. There’s two ways you can close your chocolate bombs. I think the easiest and less messy way is to warm a small plate in the microwave and place an empty half sphere, rim down on the plate, just enough to melt the edges. Lift it off the plate and secure it onto the filled half. Another way is to pipe melted chocolate on the edge of one half and secure it to the other half.
TIP: Use a warm spoon and gently press the back of it along the edges to make them more smooth.
7. Repeat to the remaining 3 chocolate bombs
8. Now for the fun part: Decorating the bombs!
To create a snowman, take one medium size marshmallow and lightly dip the bottom into melted white chocolate. Secure it into a chocolate bomb. Use melted dark chocolate to create the face, arms and buttons on the body. I cut up an orange candy to create the nose but melted orange chocolate would be a great alternative.
TIP: To avoid fingerprints wear food safe gloves.
Time to wrap it!
Grab some fun and festive Christmas mugs. I love these adorable KSP Nutcracker Suite Mugs that come in a set of 4. Fill the mugs with tissue paper or crinkle paper filler. Place the hot chocolate bombs on top. Use cellophane or a plastic clear bag to wrap the mug. Add a bow on top to finish the look.
Optional: Add a little tag to the mug explaining how to use the hot chocolate bomb. “Watch this snowman explode into a delicious cup of hot cocoa by pouring hot milk over top of it!”
Stay cozy this season everyone!