February is the season of love! It’s a time to show extra gratitude and express our love to all the special people in our life. Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and yes, the chocolates and flowers are nice, but what about a delicious and cozy breakfast-in-bed made with love?! It’s such a sweet gesture to show your affection and will be greatly appreciated by anyone. All you need is a beautiful sturdy tray and an epic menu. Need ideas? Well I’ve got you covered! I’m sharing two Valentine’s Day themed recipes, plus the perfect tray to serve it on. It will surely impress your loved one!
Let’s talk about the tray first. You want something that is fairly large and spacious to fit all your food. Also having legs on your tray is huge bonus to allow you to eat comfortably without bending over. My favourite serving tray is the KSP Swoop Folding Bed Tray. It has comfortable handles and raised edges to prevent spillage when serving. The tray legs fold in for easy storage when not using. It also comes in black.
The Menu: Pink Waffles and Grapefruit Mimosas
A stack of waffles is a common breakfast hit. To make them a little more exciting and on theme, try these pink fluffy waffles instead!
The secret to achieving a gorgeous bold pink is using beets! You may think that’s a weird combination, but cooked beets add a mild earthy flavour to the batter, which balances out the sweetness.
I love using my Salton Rotary Waffle Maker. Cooking time is short and my waffles cook evenly every time. There is a temperature control knob which is a great feature because I like my waffles a little crispy! I highly recommend this one if you enjoy making waffles.
The toppings are always the fun part. Whip cream and maple syrup are staples for me. This time I also threw on strawberries cut into hearts for a final Valentines touch.
Here’s the Pink Waffle Recipe! (Makes 3 large size waffles)
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 ¾ cups non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp baking power
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 medium sized roasted beet
- 3 tbsp honey
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Turn your Salton Rotary Waffle Maker on and let it heat up
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl and stir
- Blend ½ cup of milk and the roasted beet in a food processor or blender
- In a separate large bowl, whisk the eggs, the remaining milk, oil, beet purée and the vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir.
- The green light will illuminate on your Salton Waffle Maker when it’s ready. Pour mixture into the waffle iron and close lid. Flip immediately. When the bottom is ready, the green light will come on again. Flip it back to its original position and wait for the final green light. Open and remove waffle.
- Top with whip cream and heart shaped strawberries
Now onto a beverage…
A celebratory breakfast is not complete without a signature cocktail!
To keep with the Valentine’s Day theme, I made these refreshing grapefruit mimosas with freshly squeezed grapefruit juice. I used ruby red grapefruits and I love that they give off a delicate pale pink shade. I used Prosecco for this recipe and also added a splash of elderflower liqueur to help balance the grapefruit bite. This pink mimosa will definitely bring your Valentine’s breakfast up a notch!
- 4 oz freshly squeezed ruby red grapefruit juice
- 1 ½ oz elderflower liqueur
- 4 oz Prosecco or sparkling white wine
- Add grapefruit juice, elderflower liqueur in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake well.
- Strain into champagne flutes and top with Prosecco.