It’s time to get out the patio furniture because summer is just weeks away!!! In anticipation from those long winter months, I created a delicious summer cocktail to welcome the new season. There’s nothing better than enjoying a refreshing cocktail while soaking in the summer rays!
Fluffy cocktails have been super popular and trending lately. There’s something about that smooth and silky topper that makes sipping so much more fun! I decided to take the classic gin fizz and put my own little summer twist to it. I added freshly squeezed grapefruit juice and some homemade ginger syrup and used egg whites to create the perfectly sweet foamy top. If you prefer carton egg whites, they work just as well and if raw eggs aren’t your cup of tea, you can use aquafaba, which is just the liquid in a can of chickpeas. I’m calling this cocktail the Summer Fizz; it’s light and tangy, and not to mention pretty cute looking too!
Summer Fizz Recipe
Ingredients (2 servings)
¼ cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
3 tablespoons of ginger syrup
2 egg whites or 3 tbsp of aquafaba
½ cup tonic
Ginger Syrup Ingredients:
1/3 cup ginger, chopped and peeled
¾ cup sugar
¾ cup water
- Bring all the ingredients to a boil in a small sauce pan. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and let sit covered for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Let it cool and refrigerate before you make the cocktail.
- You can keep the remaining syrup sealed in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- Pour gin, grapefruit juice, egg whites and ginger syrup into a cocktail shaker with a handful of ice. Give it a really good shake for about 1 minute until you see lots of foam.
- Fill glasses half way with tonic and then top with the grapefruit mixture.
- Finish with a slice of grapefruit for a pretty garnish. Another option is to caramelize the grapefruit slice by dipping it into sugar and lightly torching it.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Cheers to making the most out of our summers!