The weekend. There is simply nothing better, nothing more delightful and more exciting than looking forward to the weekend.
Just saying the word weekend brings joy and a sense of calm.
However, it can be easy to forget that you need to make time to actually find this peaceful space during the weekend.
Slow days are some of the best days, when there are no back-to-back plans in the calendar. Life, at it’s very best is happening right before our eyes, so it’s important to make sure you take the time to enjoy it.
Brew some coffee, grab some tea and make a plan to own your weekend. It’s always a good idea to chat it over with your partner, I’ll tell you why. If you are anything like me, you keep your entire to-do list in your head, so all the while your spouse is joyfully unaware and might be expecting a weekend of rest, relation and golf – oops.
It’s always a good idea to get your expectations out on the table. Start planning your weekend throughout the week so nothing is left until last minute and you’re both on the same page about just what “slow days” really means.
Why recharging matters
I like piecing it together in four different categories:
- Fun: Make time for things you and your family truly enjoy. Is it going to the park, watching a movie, going out for dinner? Make time for all the fun!
- Relationships: Sure, you are with your family day in and day out, but weekends are the perfect time to reconnect and recharge relationships. Since I have three kids, I try to spend alone one-on-one time with each of them (it’s not easy and sometimes I need to bring in assistance!).Your spouse needs some love too – cuddle up and watch movie when the kids are in bed, enjoy a cup of freshly brewed coffee, have a drink while playing some cards or a board game. Weekends are the time when we can let our loved ones know how much they mean to us. Sit down with a cup of tea and chat. Take a walk together. Doing anything together outside of the daily rush will be restorative!
- Productivity: This is all the stuff you want to get accomplished over the weekend – your to-do list. Make sure you have a clear plan so you don’t feel stressed about it. There’s also a ton of satisfaction in checking off each item!
- Relax: The weekend is the perfect time to recharge and rejuvenate, what will make you feel rested and refreshed to tackle the upcoming week? A nap, some yoga, try a new recipe? It’s your weekend, make the most of it.
It’s also important to disconnect. Social media and technology have become an intricate part of our everyday life. While it has many benefits, it also prevents us from recharging, from clearing our minds and resting. So, the more we disconnect from social media, the happier we become. I always try to disconnect for at least part of the weekend — turn off the internet router for an hour or two. There are even apps that can do this for you.
There is nothing better than slowing down and sipping coffee or your favourite beverage with your loved ones. When it comes to drink ware, I feel like presentation plays a crucial role in how coffee tastes, these gorgeous ZWILLING Sorrento glasses which come in so many variations keep your drink at the desired temperate longer (which obviously has parent-must have written all over it.) Plus, they are on sale during the ZWILLING and Henckels Sale on now until October 14, 2019. You can buy one set and get the second set 50% off in all their stores.
To give you some inspiration, I’m sharing my recipe for an Iced Matcha Maple that’s perfect for sipping while you unwind, relax and recharge on the slow days you’ve made.
Cheers to making the most of your weekends!
Recipe: Iced matcha maple
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 1/4 cup water
- 1.5 tsp matcha tea powder
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup of coconut milk or other milk alternative
Put ice cubes, water, matcha tea powder and maple syrup in the blender and pulse until it resembles slush.
Pour into a glass and add milk.
Looking for more advice on recharging?
ZWILLING and Henckels Sale on now
Save up to 70% during the ZWILLING and Henckels sale, on from September 16-October 14, 2019. You’ll find amazing door crasher deals, FREE gifts with purchase, and of course great deals on the Sorrento glasses.